There is no doubt that curls are in vogue – on short hair, medium length hair or long hair, curls illuminate healthy hair. The traditional way to get curls has been with a lot of product and heat – heat with blow dryers and curling irons. Heat is terrible for your hair as it dries it out and causes breakage. But there are ways to give yourself beautiful curls without the use of heat.
- T-shirt Tie
If you’ve been watching Orange Is The New Black on Netflix (if you haven’t, check it out!) you’ve seen the character Lorna Morello improvise her trademark curls by utilizing ties made from scraps of fabric. It is actually a great way to get curls, even outside of the confines of jail.
- Wash and condition your hair as you usually do, but use no leave-in products; blot your hair dry.
- Cut a t-shirt lengthwise into long strips, at least 2 inches longer than your hair. Cut 1” widths for tighter curls and 3” strips for looser curls.
- Take a small piece of hair and start rolling it over the strip towards your scalp. If you want curls only at the bottom don’t roll the hair all the way up.
- Tie off the strip. Continue around the whole head.
- Give your hair 2-3 hours to dry or go to sleep with it. In the morning, untie the strips and shake your curls loose.
The braid method will give you a bit more of a beach wave. For the loose wave look, don’t use a tight braid. Keeping the strands loose will produce that beachy look.
- With your hair wet but blotted dry, part it down the middle so you have 2 bunches.
- Braid each side – tightly if you want tighter waves.
- Wait til the hair dries and un-braid your hair and shake it loose.
- For more waves, make several smaller braids all around the head.
The headband method is great for curls that are bouncy and voluminous. Plan to do this one over night for best results.
- Wet your hair if it is clean or wash it as usual. Blot dry.
- To achieve a more vintage look take an elastic headband and put it around your head. Roll the hair over the headband in sections until all your hair is up, pinning each section as you go.
- Allow your hair to dry or sleep on it til morning.
- When you wake up, unpin the hair and shake your curls loose. To help keep them throughout the day use some light spray or mousse and scrunch your curls.
Rollers are a great way to get structured and perfect curls over night. Rollers work really well for those who have particularly thin straight hair.
- Wash and blot your hair.
- Using rollers the size you would like your curls to be, roll the hair and pin it or clamp it.
- To speed up the drying process you can use a blow dryer on a cold setting.
- Allow hair to dry and take out your rollers.
- Shake out your curls. Use a comb or brush for more volume.
You no longer have to damage your hair to get the luxurious curls you love so much. With these methods you can have your favorite style without hurting your hair and scalp. It may take a bit longer, but your hair will thank you for it. For more tips on getting your hair curly naturally, Pinterest can be a great source.