Face shape plays a large part in deciding if you should have a fringe (bang) and indeed what type of fringe you should have. We always want to highlight our best features and minimize our least favorite ones. Consider these points when deciding your fringe choices.
- If you have a long or square face: Long, heavy bangs that end mid-eyebrow work best (short bangs à la Beyoncé tend to pull the face down) and they look equally cool styled straight across as they do pushed to the side or parted down the middle.
- If you have an oval face: Oval faces, like Jane Birkin’s, are the most versatile shape. They look good with all parts and bangs, but they can pull off the drama of heavy, blunt styles best of all.
- If you have a heart-shaped face: The goal for those with heart-shaped faces is to balance out the thinner jawline with the wider forehead. Rather than full fringe, go for long, layered side bangs, which draw attention to the eyes, lips, and middle of the face. The shortest piece should hit at the eyebrow and the longest should end at the top of the cheekbones.
- If you have a round face: Straight, blunt bangs are a big no for round faces—they accentuate fullness and shortness. Instead, opt for thick (never wispy—they add even more softness), side-swept bangs that are cut or razored at a strong angle from short to long to create definition. The advantages of a side swept fringe are –
- Unlike blunt bangs, side-swept bangs don’t need to be trimmed every couple weeks. You get them cut and they grow out beautifully.
- They suit every face shape and you can wear them and so can everyone else you know. They also suit every hair length. They work with pixie cuts, short hair, shoulder-length, bobs and even long hair.
- They hide a big forehead.
- They never go out of style. You will never, ever see a list of “beauty trends we wish would die off” with side-swept bangs listed on them.
One of the secrets to a great side-swept bang is that it blends in well with the rest of your hair. A tip to the perfect fringe of any time is to blow dry from a fairly saturated state. This will encourage the hair to form the placement you desire and will stay in place a lot longer.
Once dried, spritz hairspray on your fingers, then comb your fingertips through your bangs to maintain this lovely feathery effect.
Why get bangs? Oh, where do I begin…
Bangs are the great camouflage of the hair world. They can hide a large forehead and even a short one. They cover up fine lines and scars. They can immediately shave a few years off a look and transform a boring long hairstyle into something that looks purposeful. They bring attention to the eyes. They frame a face.
They are the perfect choice for a woman who wants to change her look but doesn’t want to take off dramatic length. A few snips and you can look like an entirely different person